Re: RHupdates and http?

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 08:13 -0600, Ed Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 07:09, Brian Long wrote:
> > Paul, we misunderstood what updates.img was for.  It appears there is
> > currently no way to provide updated RPMs which Anaconda will
> > automatically pull from during the initial install process.  Is this
> > correct?
> > Has this feature been requested in the past and denied for any
> > particular reason?
>
> At one point, RHEL3 DID automatically check for and install updated rpms
> from RedHat/Updates.  This stopped working with Update 2, with no
> explanation in the Release Notes.

It was a bit of a hack to try to get to where the update releases only
required pushing out a single new CD.  Unfortunately, with the size of
the update releases that ended up not being feasible.  The code is still
there in RHEL3, but it was a quick one-off that wasn't really generally
usable and so went the way of the dodo.

With the work going on to use yum as the backend for package
installation in cvs HEAD, something like this will become more feasible
for the future

Jeremy