Help on anaconda on FC4:No hda and sda in /dev after boot

Hi,

I am creating a customarized bootable CD based on the rescue CD of FC4, I used initrd.img and stage2.img from the FC4 rescue CD, unpacked them, modified sbin/loader in initrd and usr/lib/anaconda/rescue.py in stage2. The CD is configured to go to rescue mode. It boots ok, but I don’t understand that I don’t see had* or sda* showed up in /dev after it boots to shell.

I am testing the bootable CD on a VM workstation with 1 IDE HD and 1 SCSI HD, they have been found (I think in ideSetup() and scsiSetup() in init.c) when the CD boots. The init only creates dev files defined in the devices.h by createDevices(), which is different from FC3. Then I think the runRescue() func in rescue.py would call iutil.makdeDriveDevice(), which should create hd* sd* etc in /dev, which did not show up in my testing platform.

It seems like the kudzu.probe() in isys.py, which is ultimately called by the iutil.makeDriveDevice() does the job to query the available HDs but I did not see any thing in error log. The modified sbin/loader only bypasses the loop that asks for installation disk media, i.e. hd, cdrom etc, and goe on directly, where I don’t see anything wrong related to the above mentioned issue. I have tested also without touching rescue.py in stage2 and just replacing loader, I still did not see any hda or sda in /dev.

Any comments or inputs on this are highly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Yi Zou