Re: installing on a jumbo frames network

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 17:06 -0500, Alex Cresswell wrote:
> I'm not sure if this has come up before, but I couldn't find anything
> in the archives about it.
>
> I'm trying to install a machine via kickstart from another box via
> nfs.  I'm running into a problem that the node I'm installing can't
> talk to the nfs server because it drops the 9000 byte packets from the
> nfs server because it has the default mtu of 1500.  It was suggested
> in rfc 1191 that if you specify a smaller block size than the mtu then
> the server will not send these large packets and the install can
> complete.  So my question is how do I pass the rsize and wsize options
> to the installer?

Shouldn't your switch detect that the client cannot handle the 9000-byte
MTU and break the packets up into the standard 1500?  We've had open
support requests with Red Hat regarding setting the MTU during
kickstart.  RHEL 3 U6 and RHEL 4 U2 (both in beta) have this
functionality, but we've not tested it yet.

/Brian/