Re: Building with pkgorder fails

Jasper Hartline wrote:
Hi guys.
I am attempting to build a LiveCD with kadischi, however lets put that aside.. When I go to build a new Fedora/base directory stuff using pkgorder, it fails in an endless loop relating to kernel, initrd, and lvm2 packages.

I cannot move forward with building a customized LiveCD based on Fedora, if I cannot get pkgorder to work, mind you this is with or without added paclages to Fedora/RPMS.

If someone could direct me to the right resource that would be excellent, pkgorder is not documented very much I notice, so I am at a loss of what to do.

Thanks.

Jasper -

You're right, pkgorder is not very well documented. And it probably never will be. It's in the same boat as all of those other "cool but undocumented so no one will ever be able to use them to their full potential" tools. It's a shame.

However, I've had pkgorder take quite a while trying to figure out which package to place in which order. Remember, it bases it's order on other package dependencies. It might look like an endless loop, but it's really not.

Another thing to consider is two of the same packages, with different names. pkgorder doesn't quite like these, so you'll have problems with those.

Hope that helps
-dant