Re: A problem customising the install to reduce the number of disks needed....

On 9 Jul 2005, at 14:53, Matthew Miller wrote:

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 02:43:08PM +0100, Oisin Mulvihill wrote:
I'm trying to reduce the number of disks I need to use, to install a
set of internet kiosks I have developed based on fedora. Currently
I have my own kickstart file on a special fedora core one disk. It
then chooses the packages I need off disks one to three. I then have a
fourth disk that installs my software and turns the pc into a kiosk.
I'm moving to fedora core three and now the amount of disks I need is
up to five. I want to reduce the amount of disks down to two if
possible.

Have you considered setting up a network mirror and reducing the CD need down to the 5mb boot image? Since it's an internet kiosk, I assume you have network connectivity. This'd save you a lot of the work it looks like you're
doing.

When my main customer installs the kiosks, they don't connect to a network usually (despite what my documentation says). They usually just connect them to the adsl router they'll get deployed with, but its not connected out. When they put the machines out on site they just want to plug-in-and-go. They are also not very technical. Even though my install does 99% of the work for them, the still manage to get it wrong. I thought about this solution, but went
against it as it would cause me a lot of head aches and support calls.

om

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx <http://www.mattdm.org/> Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>