Re: PATCH - software raid for ppc on installation

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 15:22 -0400, Dustin kirkland wrote:
> On 5/7/05, Jeremy Katz <katzj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 19:23 -0400, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> > > 3) Additionally, if you choose to RAID your /boot partition, the only
> > > level that makes sense (to me anyway) is RAID1.  So I added a check in
> > > the anaconda gui that ensures this.  Note that this will affect all
> > > platforms, but this seems sensible to me.  I don't know of any
> > > bootloaders that are able to read anything other than a mirrored RAID
> > > filesystem.  Correct me here?
> >
> > This is already handled -- see the sanityCheckRaid method of the
> > RaidRequestSpec in partRequests.py.
>
> Ok, you're right...  The sanityCheckRaid() will identify RAIDed
> bootable partitions that are not RAID1.
>
> However, it does this as you attempt to FINISH the parititioning
> scheme.  It seems a bit more user-friendly to address this where I
> did, within the dialog where the user is attempting to create the RAID
> partition.  Thoughts?

The reason we do it when we do is so that there's not a specific order
enforced on how you create the partitions.  If you do it in the dialog,
then if you create RAID 5 / and then /boot, you have to jump through
more hoops of trying more times to create things.

Jeremy