Re: DHCP client in anaconda

Hao Luo wrote:
Hi,

Unfortunately,we are not permitted to touch anaconda code because it would probably bring about some license issues.

Is this from the boss? Tell'em that Anaconda is GPLed. The idea is that we share. This allows you and me to both grow because we can measure our knowledge and understanding against a codebase like Anaconda.

My temporary walkaround against dhcp request in anaconda is providing IP statically during network installation, below
is my pxe config:

DEFAULT test
LABEL test
KERNEL test/ks-RedHatEL-AS3-GA-i386z
APPEND utf8 nofb root=/dev/ram ip=172.20.3.26 netmask=255.255.0.0 method=nfs:172.20.3.3:/iso/RHEL/rhel3-ga ks=nfs:172.20.3.3:/testinstall/project/1.4.1/kickstart.RedHatEL-AS3/172.20.3.26-kickstart initrd=csm/ks-RedHatEL-AS3-GA-i386.gz ksdevice=eth0

But each command line passed to anaconda will be cut by kernel to no more than 256 chars, how can I extend the maximum line size passed to anaconda?

I don't recall the kernel parameter but there is a kernel parameter that controls the size of /proc/cmdline. You'd have to use the kernel sources and increase the size of the cmdline to say, 512 with make gconfig. As you note the current value is 256 characters.

If you look at the loader.c file it looks like you are covered size wise. /proc/cmdline is read into buf and buf is 1024 chars and later cmdLine.

Yours Sincerely,
Luo Hao

IBM China Software Development Laboratory
Tel:86-10-82782244-3420 Mail:luohao@xxxxxxxxxx
Address: North Area, 8/F, Ying Chuang Building No.1, East Road, Shangdi, Haidian District Beijing 100085, PRC

Greg Morgan <drkludge@xxxxxxx>

                        *Greg Morgan <drkludge@xxxxxxx>*

                        2004-12-07 16:28

Hao Luo/China/Contr/IBM@IBMCN

cc

anaconda-devel-list@xxxxxxxxxx

Subject

Re: DHCP client in anaconda

Hao Luo wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I have being devoted to investigating linux network installation via
 > UUID(Universal Unique Identifier), unique for each IBM xSeries server.
 >
 > As I know, syslinux 2.07 has provided support of sending a dhcp request
 > containing UUID infomation, which can be recogonized by dhcpd3.0. Do you
 > have any idea of how to make dhcp client in anaconda send request with
 > additional UUID infomation.

Hao,

I found your question interesting so I poked around some.  It looks like
Anaconda uses pump and not a dhcpclient.  I cannot tell, if pump would
allow you to retrieve a UUID. isys.py makes a call to isys.c via
pumpnetdevice.  You would want to look at /usr/include/pump.h for the
struct pumpNetIntf definition.  Files net.c and isys.c work with the
information returned from pump.  At this late hour it all looks
automagically to me.  I believe you will have to customize Anaconda to
obtain your desired functionality.  It looks like only part of the dhcp
information is used in Anaconda.  There are a couple of items for S390
in pumpNetIntf.  I don't know if that is the same as xSeries.

Have fun.

Greg