Re: running out of space during FC3 install

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Greg Morgan wrote:

> Do you have a install tree or are you using a directory full of ISOs
> in your NFS install method?  I don't know if this would matter.
> Perhaps the install tree may closely resemble the CD method?
> That's pure speculation on my part.

NFS-mounted directory of 4 FC3 ISO images.  i've used this technique a
number of times before, so i'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

... snip ...
> > =====
> >
> > The disk space requirements listed below represent the disk space
> > taken up by Fedora Core 3 after the installation is complete.
> > However, additional disk space is required during the installation
> > to support the installation environment. This additional disk
> > space corresponds to the size of /Fedora/base/stage2.img (on
> > CD-ROM 1) plus the size of the files in /var/lib/rpm on the
> > installed system.
> >
> > In practical terms, this means that as little as an additional
> > 90MB can be required for a minimal installation, while as much as
> > an additional 175MB can be required for an "everything"
> > installation.
> >
> > =====
> >
> >   "additional disk space is required"?  where?  in the root
> > filesystem?  i could have sworn that *somewhere* i remember
> > reading that the install image is copied into ***RAM***, not onto
> > the hard drive.  so what does this have with needing extra space
> > on the hard drive?
>
> I recall this is correct. I haven't poked around in an install
> lately but the hard drive is mounted in other partitions while the
> http://www.busybox.net/ system is used to run the anaconda linux
> system that runs out of the ram disk.

> >   for no good reason i can think of, i repartitioned and bumped
> > the root filesystem up from 256M to 512M and it worked like a
> > charm.  so can someone clarify *exactly* what this required
> > additional space is for?  and if it's really necessary to allocate
> > extra space in the root FS, shouldn't anaconda warn the user about
> > insufficient space in the first place?  that excerpt from the
> > release notes is really not terribly informative.
>
> Perhaps a df -h would help here.  How exactly did you partition your drive.

i had *sizable* partitions (>= 1G) for /tmp, /var, /usr, /usr/local,
and /home, and 512M for swap -- no economizing on space there.  the
only smaller partitions i had were:

  /boot		128M primary
  /		256M logical volume

and that was the combination that seemed to be causing the "out of
space" problem.  once i repartitioned and increased / to 512M, no
problem.  so i'm still baffled as to what the problem was.

> Another practical suggestion is that /usr and /home be in separate
> partitions to support upgrades.  You can completely reformat /usr in
> an upgrade, and leave you home partition alone.

oh, i've been doing this for a while. :-)

> Anaconda does perform some sanity checks. In the partitions.py file the code
> checks for these minimums:
>         checkSizes = [('/usr', 250), ('/tmp', 50), ('/var', 384),
>                       ('/home', 100), ('/boot', 75)] I don't know if
> that means you need 859M of space for one big root. However a /var
> of 384 may be the answer of why you had to bump the /, root,
> partition to 512.  This is especially true if /var is just a
> directory in /.

as you can see above, i wasn't even close to the minimum on most of my
partitions.

> You may want to post a bug report in buzilla if you think there is a
> problem with the documentation.

i'm not sure if there's a problem -- i'm still not sure what problem
i'm looking at here and where this "additional" installation space
needs to be.  and why having a root filesystem of only 256M might
cause this problem.  i'm still open to random thoughts.

rday