comps.xml on RHEL U3

Dear list
I've search virtually everywhere for a guide/document/email describing the steps necessary to create a custom distribtution based on RHEL and unfortunately found none.
Back in the days  (RH7.x-RH9) you had to edit comps.xml remove the packages section,recreate the dependency tree, append it to the end of comps...etc.etc.
on RHEL I don't see the dependency tree so I wonder where are the dependencies verified/checked? I saw one line somewhere suggesting that starting FD2 it's optional but what does optional mean ? only when adding packages?
I have created a set of my own custom packages that I wanted to drop into the distribution. Do i simply need to add a line to comps.xml and recreate hdlist?
I would greatly appreciate if anyone had the step by step of what needs to be done to customize RHEL and can share it.
Thanks!
Effie

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com