FC2 installer hangs after loading module from driver disk

Hi there,

I'm new to the list, so please be gentle...

I have a machine with the OS installed onto SCSI disks attached to an Advansys SCSI controller. This controller is not supported in Fedora so it's a bit of a hassle to install it but once installed, everything's OK because the advansys module is (or was, until very recently) supplied in both FC1 and FC2 kernel RPMs in the "unsupported" directory. However, the latest Fedora errata kernel does not contain the advansys module, so, looking forward to FC3, I'm expecting to have to create a driver disk to support the card then.

I've found it very difficult to find up to date information on creating driver disks, so I've had to cobble something together based on what little I could find. Here's what I have:

Disk (VFAT floppy) contents:
modinfo
modules.cgz
modules.dep
pcitable
rhdd

modinfo:
Version 0
advansys
        scsi
        "Advansys SCSI Cards"

modules.dep:
advansys: scsi_mod

pcitable: (from /usr/share/hwdata/pcitable)
0x10cd 0x1200 "advansys" "Advanced System Products|ASC1200 [(abp940) Fast SCSI-II]"
0x10cd  0x1300  "advansys"      "Advanced System Products|ABP940-U / ABP960-U"
0x10cd  0x2300  "advansys"      "Advanced System Products|ABP940-UW"
0x10cd  0x2500  "advansys"      "Advanced System Products|ABP940-U2W"

rhdd:
Advansys Driver Disk

modules.cgz:
2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/athlon/advansys.o
2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/i586/advansys.o
2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/i686/advansys.o
2.4.22-1.2115.nptlBOOT/i386/advansys.o
2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp/athlon/advansys.o
2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp/i686/advansys.o
2.6.5-1.358/i586/advansys.ko
2.6.5-1.358/i686/advansys.ko
2.6.5-1.358smp/i586/advansys.ko
2.6.5-1.358smp/i686/advansys.ko

This driver disk is intended to support FC1 and FC2 so far, my intention being to support FC3 when it comes along. The actual modules were extracted from the corresponding RPMs for the kernels. For FC3 I expect to have to build them myself.

I'm testing the driver disk by booting from the boot.iso CD for FC2, and from the disk1 CD for FC1, then entering "linux dd" at the prompt. For both FC1 and FC2 I'm prompted to supply the driver disk, the Advansys SCSI card is detected, the module is extracted from the moduleball and loaded, apparently successfully, into the kernel (I can see the detection of the attached SCSI disks in the console messages screen).

On FC1, the installer then goes on to ask me if I want to use any further driver disks, at which point I say "no" and it loads the tulip driver for my network card from the distribution media and continues with the installation.

However, on FC2, the installer seems to hang with a nearly blank screen at this point.

My question is: is this likely to be a problem with my driver disk, or with the installer? If it's the installer, what's it doing and how could I work around this problem? Could it be that booting from the disk1 CD for FC2 (which I don't have at the moment since I downloaded the DVD image instead, but this particular machine only has a CD reader) would improve matters? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers, Paul.