Re: FC2 and dual-boot Windows

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 13:10 -0700, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:
> I am working on getting my FC2 build released, but I am worried about
> the problem with dual-booting Windows that I have seen.  Is there any
> way to get the legacy partitioning info for the installer without any
> manual intervention?  Are there any updates for the
> kernel/parted/anaconda that would remedy this problem?

I still have yet to reproduce the problem.  If you have a way to
reliably reproduce it and are willing to test, there's some work going
on in upstream parted to try to make it a non-issue.  As it stands right
now, I'm following the discussion and it seems sane, but I can't do much
in the way of testing.  If I have someone who can reproduce and who will
test, it's easy enough for me to make an updates.img with an updated
libparted that will get used.

> I've seen
> solutions that use the legacy EDD information to change the heads to
> 255/240, although I haven't been able to determine which disks to
> perform this on.  I assume that int13_dev80 is only for device 0x80,
> thus the discussion about disks other than 0x80.

This is a hack and there are comments in various places about it not
being good enough.  It definitely doesn't at all feel robust to me.

Jeremy