rpm db files strangeness

Hi people,

I have an interesting problem with my Fedora Core 1 custom cd. When I check Alt-F3 at the end of the installation I see the following error messages mingled in with other messages:

* moving (1) to step installpackages
* failed to unlink /var/lib/rpm/__db.001 :[Errno 2] No such file or directory:'/mnt/sysimage/var/lib/rpm/__db.001' * failed to unlink /var/lib/rpm/__db.002 :[Errno 2] No such file or directory:'/mnt/sysimage/var/lib/rpm/__db.002' * failed to unlink /var/lib/rpm/__db.003 :[Errno 2] No such file or directory:'/mnt/sysimage/var/lib/rpm/__db.003'
* moving (1) to step postinstallconfig

I am pretty sure I figured out what caused this once - and the messages went away ... but now they're back and I have completely forgotten what I did before to fix it :/

I have traced a stock standard Fedora Core 1 install and I discovered that the __db.00x files are created at the end of the kernel rpm installation - about halfway through the package installation process. This makes me think something in a post script of the kernel package creates the files but I can't see what.

My custom cd never creates these files - thus the errors at the end of the install when it tries to remove them.

AND now to add a bizarre twist to the tale ...

I just finished a standard install of Fedora Core 2 on a test machine (over nfs) and out of habit I flicked to the Alt-F3 screen and to my surprise - the error messages are there too!! - on a fully standard install of FC2!

One difference I have found between my custom install and the FC2 install - after the first reboot if I run 'rpm --rebuilddb' - FC2 recreates a __db.003 file in /var/lib/rpm/. My custom install doesn't recreate anything in /var/lib/rpm/ when this command is run :(

Any ideas on what might be happening?

thanks

pantz

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!