Re: "copy in memtest if present"

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 16:15 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 04:07:01PM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > > seem to work, except that you won't get any glibc at all in the second stage
> > > image, which will of course manifest itself as "/usr/bin/anaconda: file not
> > > found" (or something like that), which will be very confusing, as you keep
> > > saying "what are you talking about? it's _right there_".
> > There's not a ton that I can really do about that.  The error is
> > basically what you get back from the kernel.  I guess that
> > buildinstall/upd-instroot could error out if "essential" packages are
> > missing.  Accepting patches :)
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean to complain about what the kernel does when libraries
> are missing. :) What I mean to complain about :) is: should there be added
> an ugly hack to make it know that if it can't find i386, it should use i686?
> (Like it does for the kernel package already?)

The problem is that if this is done, then you require an i686 kernel
(and it also changes the file lists).

The kernel is already "special" in lots of ways, I don't really want to
expand that specialness into other packages if I can help it (especially
because it starts getting weirdly out of hand on other arches)

Jeremy