Re: Remote Installation of Fedora

On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 10:36, Felix Schwarz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (Foreword: If this question is on the wrong list please point me to
> the right list. Thanks)
>
> Problem:
> I have a remote server with a high speed internet connection and I
> want to install Fedora (Core 1) on this server (currently running
> another linux).
>
> What I tried:
> I created a grub entry and copied several files from the Fedora cds on
> my harddisk so that the system starts the installation process
> automatically when I'll reboot.
> I wanted to use the VNC install method to install this remote server
> but it failed. Before the vnc server starts there are several dialogs
> (language, network settings) so the install process hangs.
>
> How can I install Fedora on a remote server? I heard of kickstart but
> I don't want to install many servers but only one so using kickstart
> seems to be overkill to me.

kickstart is very simple.  In fact, something like this should work for
your needs:

ks.cfg
----------
lang en_US
langsupport en_US
network --bootproto dhcp
keyboard us
cdrom

That should answer the original questions and continue with the
installation.  Since you are installing via Grub, I assume that you are
doing a network install, thus you should be able to put this ks.cfg
somewhere in the installation tree and point to it with grub.

> Btw: VNC over SSH would be nice. Or even better: Starting the
> installation manually after login with ssh. Any plans implementing this?

There is a telnet option, that starts the install after you telnet in.
Perhaps you could look at that code and submit a patch?

Forrest