Re: RHEL 3 genhdlist gotcha

On Mon, 03 May 2004 09:38:16 -0400
Brian Long [Brian] wrote:

Brian> My group is just starting to support a bi-arch (i386/AMD64) kickstart
Brian> and we found a few gotchas along the way.  I figured I'd tell the rest
Brian> of you in case it helps in any way.
Brian>
Brian> genhdlist must be run on the same architecture you plan to kickstart.
Brian> For example, the genhdlist from anaconda-runtime i386 must be run for
Brian> i386 kickstarts.  The genhdlist from anaconda-runtime x86_64 must be run
Brian> on a x86_64 machine for the bi-arch kickstart to proceed.
Brian>
Brian> We had been running the i386 genhdlist against a bi-arch comps.xml, but
Brian> things were not getting installed in proper order (i386 RPMs were taking
Brian> precedence over x86_64 RPMs).
Brian>
Brian> For previous releases, we've never used pkgorder since it wasn't a
Brian> required step for NFS installs, but it appears bi-arch kickstart
Brian> requires pkgorder AND arch-specific genhdlist.

well, this explains joshua's problems regarding kickstart and AMD64 packages.

I got 2 questions here:
  - why do you need a specific pkgorder file ?
    (since arch is not specified in there)
  - why did you choose to keep arch-specific hdlists, couldn't
    this be patched ? since "normal" installations do behave
    correctly this should not be so difficult ... is it ?

--
Alain