question about anaconda and strange hardware.

If this is the wrong arena to ask this, sorry.. I'll take it elsewhere.

I've attempting to get either RH9 or Fedora Core 1 loaded onto a Cobalt
RaQ3, which I realize is unsupported.  I've gotten RedHat 8 on, but it seems
that whatever changes were made to the installer at RH9 have confounded me.
I also don't know if my problem lies with the installer or with the boot
kernel itself.  I can get both RH9 and Fedora to the point where it asks for
the installation type.  No matter which type of network installation I
choose, it says that it cannot find an installation there.  (Even though I
can FTP in, NFS mount, etc and it works fine for normal installations).
Looking at the logs, it's even successfully making the FTP or NFS
connection, but doesn't think it's right.  Any ideas if I'm missing some
kernel modules, or if it's the installer?

TIA,
Jeremy