Problem building a custom RedHat 7.3 install CD

Hi!
I have browsed the archives of this list and googled a lot but not been able to find a solution to my problem. Time to make a post...

I have severe problems making a customized RedHat 7.3 install CD, that
should be used for staging newer hardware (like Proliant DL380 G3 servers).
Newer hardware is often packing new gigabit network interfaces and other
pretty recent devices. The drivers for these weren't available when the
vanilla RedHat 7.3 CDs was produced.
The kickstart procedure I use relies heavily on network availability (using a NFS server for packages and customized scripts to setup hosttables, syslog config etc)

To produce a new install CD with a "newish" kernel version (2.4.20-24.7BOOT redhat built kernel) that is used during boot of the CD, I found out how to use anaconda scripts (buildinstall etc)
My problem is that the needed network driver isn't showing up in the
right image on the CD. It sure resides in one or more of the images since it is loaded correctly from the stage2 image that is used when doing a CD based install but is unavailable when choosing to install from the network (PITA). I have tried to patch the driver into some of the initrd images by hand, removing not needed drivers to make space, but no luck - the result is that yet another driver is claimed to be missing (cciss.o Compaq raid controller driver, much needed since the HDs are situated on such a device) as well as customizing the upd-instroot,mk-images and mk-images.i386 script... but I can't figure out what I need to do. I found out that I needed to disable some pcmcia modules since the new kernel was too big to fit, but that's pretty much all.

Anybody have a (good) clue to where I should look?
Redhat doesn't mention anything about which image is used in what
install stage in the online documentation. The only information I have found is from mailing-lists and some HowTo's but it doesn't tell me exactly what image is good for what...

Hope this is the right place to ask for help!
Best regards,
/Andreas Vinsander