How to debug install problem

Hello,

Can you tell me howto debug an install failure, or direct me to a place
where I can find more information ...

Specific problem is a I have a 772n HP Pavailion system which the
install completes, but the machine does not function properly after installation. Specifically the built in network/USB controller does
not seem to be functioning correctly.

Where are the log files which may help explain what happened and
how to fix it?

If this is the wrong list kindly tell me where to go to try and get resolution.

thanks ...