Re: Driver disks for Fedora

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 19:19, Michael Madore wrote:
> I have built driver disks for previous versions of RedHat to support
> installation with disk controllers or network adapters not supported
> with the drivers on CD.  I am attempting to do the same with Fedora, but
> it seems that the behavior of the installer has been changed a bit.
> Instead of searching for the driver under:

There are two things... you can either a) use old, version 0 driver
disks or b) move forward to version 1 (recommended).  With Fedora Core
1, the kernel on the install CDs and for pxeboot is the i586 kernel so
that systems that require ACPI can boot with 'acpi=on' and get it while
the floppy still has the i386 BOOT kernel (for space reasons).

A version 1 driver disk looks very similar to a version 0 except that
instead of having rhdd-6.1 on the disk, you use rhdd instead.  Then, in
your modules.cgz, the layout is something like

2.4.22-1.2115.nptlBOOT/
  i386/
     mymodule.o
2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/
  i586/
     mymodule.o
  i686/
     mymodule.o

Which then lets you use the same driver disk for multiple architectures
as well and the installer will figure out the right one to use as
needed.

Cheers,

Jeremy