custom driver disk - rh7.3

hi people

i have made a custom driver disk for redhat 7.3 that includes the latest
driver for the broadcom 4401 NIC (bcm4400.o) but i run into problems after
the system is installed.

i am able to use 'dd' at the boot: prompt during the install, and when i
insert my custom driver disk - it detects the appropriate driver to copy (ie.
bcm4400.o) - and the installation goes fine - i even get to configure the
network interface for the broadcom NIC!

When i reboot the machine after the installation is complete - my bcm4400.o
driver is not anywhere on the hard drive, but '/etc/modules.conf' is
configured to use the bcm4400 driver. The config is good, but it is useless
because it cant find the driver that it needs to load.

When i previously built the driver with the standard 2.4.18-3 kernel i got
lots of unresolved dependency errors during the installation when anaconda
tried to insert the driver from my custom driver disk. But after a reboot and
a manual insmod of the driver (from a floppy disk) the driver was loaded
without errors.

I also tried building the driver on a machine with the 2.4.18-3BOOT kernel
installed - and things went well for inserting the driver from the diskette -
but then things go bad after the install. The driver is nowhere to be found
and when i try to manually insmod it (from a floppy) i get the unresolved
dependency errors.

I guess my question is - how can i build a driver that will be good for the
installation AND after installation - without having to modify the drivers on
the cd?

thanks

pantz