CD-ROM and PCMCIA

Hi,
I've been trying to rescue a laptop with the RH9
(shrike) CD#1 and the following setup:

PCMCIA CD
no floppy

the installer would always get as far as "Rescue
Method" "What type of media contains the rescue
image?" screen.  Selection of "Local CDROM" would
result in the "No driver found" screen.  Choosing
"HTTP" would work correctly (grabbing the image from a
previously set up machine on the network).

Yet, I wanted to be able to rescue this laptop at any
stage without a network connection, just using the
CD#1.

So first I examined what messages were visible on the
screen of the installer using Alt+F3:

Alt-F3 showed part of the boot messages:
* modules to insert pcmcia_core yenta_socket ds
* loaded pcmcia_core from /modules/modules.cgz
* loaded yenta_socket from /modules/modules.cgz
* loaded ds from /modules/modules.cgz
* inserted /tmp/pcmcia_core.o
/tmp/yenta_socket.o: init_module:
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
paramters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the
output from dmesg
* failed to instert /tmp/yenta_socket.o
/tmp/ds.o: init_module:
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
paramters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the
output from dmesg
* failed to insert /tmp/ds.o
* load module set done
* probing buses
* finished bus probing
* modules to insert e100 Card Intel 815 usb-uhci
yenta_socket
* loaded e100 from /modules/modules.cgz
* loaded yenta_socket from /modules/modules.cgz
* modules(s) Card Intel 815 usb-uhci not found
* inserted /tmp/e100.o
/tmp/yenta_socket.o: init_module:
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
   You may find more information in syslog or the
output from dmesg
* failed to insert /tmp/yenta_socket.o
* load module set done
* going to set language to en_US-UTF-8
* setting language to en_US-UTF-8
* 54 keymaps are available

Using the HTTP image as a rescue image the following
messages stood out with "dmesg | less":
iee1394: SelfID completion called outside of bus
reset!
ieee1394: Host added: Node[00:1023]
GUID0800460300c4e7fe] [Linux OHCI-1394]
Linux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device
01:02.0.  Please try again using pci=biosirq
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
(then the e100 loads succesfully)
Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev loop(7,0)
(repeat of the PCI Pin A message and the ds message)
(agpgart loads succesfully, raid etc.)

I concluded that there was a problem with the PCMCIA
core and grabbed the latest kernel-source rpms
(2.4.20-13.9) and kernel-pcmcia-cs (3.1.31-13) and
rebuilt using the kernel-2.4.20-8BOOT config as a
starting point.

Then I copied from CD#1 the /isolinux/initrd.img to a
new file.  I unzipped it and mounted it as a loop
device and then extracted its modules/modules.cgz.   I
created my own modules.cgz containing the new modules
from /lib/modules/2.4.20-13.9myversion/kernel/drivers
and copied it into the loop mounted intird.  Then
unmounted the initrd, recompressed it and placed it
back into the /isolinux directory of CD1.

Then I made an iso of CD#1 using "mkisofs -o my1.iso
-b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot
-boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table isolinux

This boots without any of the loader errors detailed
above ..... BUT ..... now instead of saying "No device
driver" the error is that the installer can't find
CD#1 in the drive!  The CD has the .discinfo file.

Please, any suggestions?

Oisin Feeley