Re:Re: install from custom

Me2.

I had the same problem with RH9. There is no trackback because the installer is still functioning. In my case, I had a kickstart file on the CD with instructions to install from the CD but instead, I was prompted for the installation method. The installer just does not recognize the CD as a RH9 CD. I shouldn't be seeing the "Installation Method" dialog box at all. However, if I choose "Local CDROM", the installer immediately comes back with "CD Not Found - The Red Hat Linux CD was not found in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Red Hat Linux CD and press OK to retry". If I Alt-F3, I see a "* trying to mount device hdc" line for each retry. The preceeding line is "starting to STEP_URL" if that helps. If I Alt-F4, right after the NatSemi driver loads for eth1, I see these lines (hand typed carefully):

<4>FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
<4>VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 16:00.
<4>VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev ide1(22,0)
<7>ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
<7>ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
<7>ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
<7>ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
<7>ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A

The last line repeats for each retry attempt. I've done many kickstarts but I'm new to anaconda and python. However, I was able to follow the instructions in your article for RH8 to successfully build a few different configurations. I didn't know about the .discinfo file so I will look for that next but, maybe this additional level of detail will be helpfull.

Thanks for your help and the great LJ article!