Re: my attempt at really terse docs for building a custom distro

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Michael Fratoni wrote:

> Don't forget, some of the Red Hat packages are not GPL, including them as
> part of super_cool_linux may be an issue.
>
> $ rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}-%{LICENSE}\n" | grep -i copyright
> redhat-logos-Copyright  1999-2002 Red Hat, Inc.  All rights reserved.
> anaconda-images-Copyright  2002 Red Hat, Inc.  All rights reserved.
>
> Removing them then leads to:
>
> $ rpm -q --whatrequires redhat-logos
> firstboot-1.0.1-10
> xscreensaver-4.05-6
> redhat-artwork-0.47-3

the only issue with this approach i can see is that it will show only
requirements for RPMs that are actually installed on your current host.
that is, if i didn't have xscreensaver installed, this command wouldn't
list the xscreensaver RPM and i wouldn't be warned about not including
that RPM in my new custom distro.

other than that, i definitely agree that it's critical to find these
potential copyright violations and not include them in your new
distro.

rday

p.s.  at what point in my construction of a new distro would i be
warned about a dependency error?  i'm testing a new build as we
speak, and i may deliberately introduce a dependency error just to
see what happens.