Re: my attempt at really terse docs for building a custom distro

On Tuesday 07 January 2003 04:27 pm, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> **** Branding your distribution
>   As it stands, if you modify the stock Red Hat distro, it's
> probably a good idea to brand it with a name other than "Red
> Hat".
>
>   Once you pick a cool, new name, you can rebrand by installing
> the anaconda src RPM, hacking the source, changing all references
> to "Red Hat" to your new name, rebuilding that RPM, and replacing
> the stock anaconda RPM with it.  Details to follow at the end for
> the more ambitious.
>
>   (Is the above reasonably accurate?)

Don't forget, some of the Red Hat packages are not GPL, including them as
part of super_cool_linux may be an issue.

$ rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}-%{LICENSE}\n" | grep -i copyright
redhat-logos-Copyright  1999-2002 Red Hat, Inc.  All rights reserved.
anaconda-images-Copyright  2002 Red Hat, Inc.  All rights reserved.

Removing them then leads to:

$ rpm -q --whatrequires redhat-logos
firstboot-1.0.1-10
xscreensaver-4.05-6
redhat-artwork-0.47-3

> QUESTION:  This step generated all kinds of warnings, some of
> which I'm not sure are serious or not.  Given that I'm just
> testing a build with the stock files and directories, I would
> assume that this should build nicely, so I'm assuming that all
> of these warnings are not serious.  (I can supply the entire
> 560-line output file if anyone feels *really* ambitious. :-)
>
> A small sample that I extracted from the output of this step
> (should I be concerned about any of these?)

The following errors are solved with:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/X11R6/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

> /usr/bin/pango-querymodules: error while loading shared libraries:
> libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> Getting gtk2 input method modules
> /usr/bin/gtk-query-immodules-2.0: error while loading shared libraries:
> libXi.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

While there is little in the way of documentation, the scripts I use for
rebuilding the distro are here:
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/hacks/build_distro-v0.3

- --
- -Michael