Re: about anaconda

On 27 Dec 2002, Stephen Smoogen wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-12-26 at 21:03, John wrote:
> > > use internally.  Once you start calling it "Red Hat Linux" externally,
> > > you have entered into the marketplace wand you cause confusion as to
> > > the origin of the product that you're providing.
> >
> > You keep saying much the same thing, without addressing the points I
> > raise.
> >
> > Red Hat has chosen to apply the GPL to its CDs, to the content of the
> > minimum package called "Red Hat Linux." In choosing to apply the GPL you
> > grant me permission to unconditionally reproduce and redistribute the
> > software, altered or not, for fee or not.
> >

> Red Hat does NOT apply the GPL to its CD's. It cant because that would

Read the GPL file on your first RHL CD.

> make ALL the content on it GPL'd.. IE apache, X11, and all those other
Not so. A music work may be covered by all of:
Composers copyright
Lyricicst's copyright
Arranger's copyright
Performers' copyright

Similarly, a collection of software is covered by an overall copyright
protecting that collection as a whole.

Even what you ordinarily regard as a single peice of software - the
Linux kernel. Some is GPL, some is "BSD-style," some is dual-licenced.

--
Please, reply only to the list.