Re: about anaconda

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Matt Wilson wrote:

> If your client wants Red Hat Linux then you should obtain and provide
> them a full boxed set.  If your customers are asking for Red Hat Linux
> then clearly there is some value there.  If they don't care about Red
> Hat Linux, by all means provide for them some stuff you downloaded for
> free from the Internet and burned on a CD-R.  But since that stuff
> isn't coming from us, you can't sell it as "Red Hat Linux".

but, as i explained in an earlier posting, red hat *itself* refers
to the product as "red hat linux" when you download it from red
hat's own web site.

the red hat web page calls it "red hat linux", the download link
says "red hat linux", the initial login prompt assured me that
i am running "red hat linux", and the contents of the file
/etc/redhat-release further assure me that, yes, this is truly
"red hat linux".

given red hat's own insistence in numerous places that this
*downloaded* software is, yes indeed, "red hat linux", how can
you now take the position that i can't call it that?

what *am* i supposed to call it?  if i go to red hat's web
site, click on that link, download the software and install
it, and someone comes up to me afterwards and asks me what
operating system i'm running, what am i legally allowed to
tell them?

rday