redhat 7.3 install does not recognize degraded md RAID

Redhat 7.3 install does not recognize partitions when a software (md) RAID
1 array is running in degraded mode (i.e. one disk in mirror is not
there). This is a problem because removing one disk in a mirror is a
convenient way to save a full system backup before a system upgrade.
Detail:
I have been running redhat 7.1 with software mirroring of everything,
including /boot and /. Tested quite a bit, works fine.
I wanted to upgrade to 7.3. Doing a system upgrade can be very dangerous
for a stable system. A convenient way to ensure rapid 100% rollback in
case of a problem is to unplug a mirror and save it. If something goes
wrong, just plug in the "saved mirror", boot from it, and you are all set.
In a production environment this would work very well ... at least that
was my plan.
Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. When the mirror is unplugged,
the kernel on the 7.3 installation disk does not continue running in
"degraded mode". Rather (it looks like to me) the /dev/md* devices are not
installed. Therefore, the installer couldn't find any partitions to
upgrade.
If the mirror is plugged in and fully operational, the upgrade works fine.

Normally, the kernel recognizes a "degraded" software RAID array and boots
fine. Do a "raidhotadd" and it nicely duplicates the mirror.
The kernel used in the installation process apparently does not do this.
It rejects the "degraded" raid partitions. I'm not sure why this is the
case. Perhaps it has to do with running in "recovery" mode.
Q: Is there a driver that one can manually load to force mounting of the
/dev/md* devices when they are degraded?
Q: Are there command line arguments to the kernel which will force it to
load the md devices even if they are degraded?
I recommend that the option of installing to a "broken mirror" be
supported in future releases of the installation software so that people
can have an easy and effective rollback strategy using the unmodified half
of a broken mirror.
Thanks in advance, and let me know if I can provide any more info.

Miguel