RE: Upgrade kernel from kickstart

> It is a known problem that grub does not install properly with the
> installer with the current update release kernel

Thank you all you other people who found this issue, too (I'm
NOT crazy!). I wanted this kernel (2.4.18-5) installed right
off the bat, without having to turn around and upgrade the 2.4.18-4
kernel initially installed from my updated custom install CDs.
Rebooting to linux rescue and running grub commands was also an
unappetizing idea.

Ewwww.

> Running grub-install might be successfully done before reboot in a
> %post section of a kickstart file or at the Alt-F2 console at the
> end of the install, I haven't tried doing that.

Here is what I put at the end of %post in my kickstart config file:

  /bin/echo -e "root (hd0,0) \n install /grub/stage1 d (hd0) /grub/stage2 p \
  (hd0,0)/grub/grub.conf \n quit" | /sbin/grub --batch

My new install CDs based on kernel 2.4.18-5 now work, and with a minimum
of human intervention.

Hope this helps.

Suzan Wassman   suz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.speakeasy.org/~suz/