Re: Boot failure with CD set based on kernel 2.4.18-5

On Fri Jun 28 2002 at 22:14, "Brian Ipsen" wrote:

>  In a message dated 28th june 2002 01:29 Taylor, ForrestX wrote:

 [ about using the latest 2.4.18-5 kernel in an updated 7.3
 installation disk... the first reboot fails because grub hasn't
 been installed properly ]

> > I am having the same grub problem using 2.4.18-5, where -4 &
> > -3 worked fine.  This last time that I tried it, I found some
> > information on VT3 and VT5
>
> Okay, sounds nice - the part about me not being the only one having
> the problem.

I'm getting a steady trickle of email about this problem as a result
of my "customised installer howto" (which, btw, now needs some
updates to warn about this).
http://www.linuxworks.com.au/redhat-installer-howto.html

This is a fairly serious problem, the latest -5 kernel cannot be
used successfully as the default kernel on an updated installation
disk.  (Well, not without being aware of the problem and how to fix
it manually).

> Has someone submitted this to bugzilla, or is it covered by #67342
> and #67441 ??

This is a different problem described by #67342 and #67441, and this
particular bug does not as yet appear to have been been entered into
bugzilla.

I've been way too busy lately to look at this closely myself, but
before I do go searching for the cause and a "generic fix", I'm
wondering if anyone has come up with a nice neat workable solution
(that doesn't involve repackaging the kernel rpms or using lilo
instead of grub).  Although the changelog for this new kernel makes
no mention of any specific changes in this regard, I suspect this is
where the cause is to be found.

Meanwhile, I'm still using the -4 kernel on the installer, then
updating the kernel soon after the first boot.  (Yuk, the whole
point of creating updated installers is to avoid having to do this:)

BTW, if I boot the installer into rescue mode and try to run
grub-install from there, it fails with errors about not being able
to find the stage loaders in /usr/share/grub/.  If I run it chrooted
into the installation, it also fails (either /proc or /dev problems,
unable to find the boot sector or whatever).  This is also a bug
that needs an entry into bugzilla (which I'll eventually do myself
if nobody else gets there first:) As a work-around for this, I
simply run lilo (using the lilo.conf.anaconda file from the new
installation) and re-install grub later on.

Cheers
Tony