TERM=ansi display problems for ncurses program.

Hi

My install program is for IBM iSeries and is   RedHat install-based
install program using a kickstart file.  It  has a ncurses based program
that asks the users for a few things at the end(after reboot). I find that
the screen is not displayed correctly when I am connecting using the
default Windows client. The value of TERM=linux irrespective of what is set
in the client. I guess this must be because the virtual terminal server(in
OS400 partition) says it's linux to my partition.

If I am telnetted into my linux partition using Windows default
client(after the install), the default terminal emulation is  ansi and that
too screws up the display. (If I am willing to give up color, I can use
VT100 and the display is not too bad. )  I tried with CRT3.4 and when it is
made to emulate ansi, the same problem happens to the display.

Now my question is how does anaconda deal with this situation? The anaconda
screens show up correctly whether I am connecting from Windows or Linux. I
have skimmed thru the anaconda sources, but I am afraid I am at a loss...
Is it using its own terminfo database? If so, where can I get it? Am I
using some ncurses calls wrongly?? or maybe I am not configuring something
correctly?

Thanks in advance
Liza