Re: Making a DVD Install CD

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 04:09:47PM -0700, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:
<snip again>
> I was looking in the source code, and I can see where it makes the
> cdboot.img, and includes all of the modules (which explains why it is so
> much larger than the regular boot.img files).  I was thinking of
> removing some of the modules to save space, and then make it create the
> cdboot.img with both 7.3 and 7.2 kernels/initrd.imgs.  The question that
> I have before I begin this is:
> Is it possible to create a boot disk that has two kernels/initrd.imgs?
>
> I am guessing that syslinux is smart enough to do it, because you must
> specify kernel and initrd.img in the syslinux.cfg file.
>
> Any other ideas are also welcome.
>
> Forrest

I will prefix this by saying that I am not a syslinux user.  After
looking at the syslinux.cfg file it appears you can do something like
this:
label rh72
  kernel vmlinuz-rh72
  append initrd=initrd-72.img .....

label rh73
  kernel vmlinuz-rh73
  append initrd=initrd-73.img .....

I bugged our kernel guy and asked about the initrd.  He said that you
should be able to specify multiple initrds as above.

One way to remove extra modules is to rebuild the BOOT kernel rpm with
only the modules you need and stick it in your build tree.

Josh