Re: The snake in Rawhide

> On Sat, 2002-05-25 at 21:57, John Summerfield wrote:
> > > We just finished a release so we're
> > > breaking stuff again.
> >
> > While you're at it, would you lease put the version/release into the names
> so we
> > can have more than one version installed at the same time?
> >
> > So, we have anaconda-7.3 instead of anaconda in each of these:
>
> No, it makes it a lot harder because I have to maintain a version in the
> path that gets appended during anaconda runtime.  Which is a royal PITA
> from a release management point of view.

I don't understand.

During testing? I use a variety of different accounts for that kind of thing,
though in the particular case of anaconda that falls down. However, a script
that sets the environment the way you want and invokes your preferred terminal
window would be one way to manage that.

Or what I do - I use a wrapper script that runs anaconda in the required
environment.

At install time? The process of preparing the distribution would ensure the
environment is set up properly.

I want to understand; I don't like the present way of doing things and I'd like
a way of fixing it that works well for Red Hat and me.

I've grepped the 7.2 source and don't see anywhere PATH is set where it's
sensitive to  what anaconda is called.

> If you want to work with multiple versions, use multiple built source
> trees.  We already handle some special casing for running in this type
> of environment because it's how I and others manage to be working on
> multiple branches and multiple architectures all at the same time
> without driving myself completely insane ;)

I must be off my oats, I don't understand this either.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
	be right!