Re: Patches to splitdistro

Tony Nugent wrote:
  Meanwhile, I have updated (for rh7.3) a web page I wrote a few
  months ago about how to use anaconda to build updated/customised
  install images for redhat 7.2.

  The new page can be found at the old URL, but it is now renamed
  and moved here:

	http://www.linuxworks.com.au/redhat-installer-howto.html

  The feedback that occasionally comes by is that it has been a
  great help for many people to get started in the right direction
  for using anaconda to build working customised installation disks.

  While the anaconda documentation is starting to get there, it is
  still very much (completely?) lacking in documenting this part of
  its magic.  My efforts are a modest attempt to fill this gap.  Any
  errors, omissions, flames or additions gratefully accepted.

Tony,

You site is getting better every time.  Some comments:

Under Step 1, in the yellow, it should be mount -o loop instead of mount -t loop.

In Step 2, another possibility if you don't use the source rpms, is to just create the SRPMS directory (mkdir -p /redhat/SRPMS/SRPMS) directory instead of modifying splitdistro.

It should also mention check-repository.py to check the repository. It will check the comps file for inconsistencies. You must comment out the `import todo` (line 38) entry though.

As for the removal of the preview directory, Jeremy's fix seems to work (use [] instead of [""]). I forgot to check that it worked, because I actually have directories that I place in there. Doh!

In Step 7, I have never removed the hdlist* files, and I have never had a problem with genhdlist. It doesn't hurt, but I am not convinced that it is necessary.

Good work on the docs!

Forrest

P.S. I almost forgot: there is a bug in the comps file using pkgorder (Bugzilla #64995). Doing a custom install and choosing all components (except Everything) should only use two discs. The problem appears to be a loop in the comps file, which I cannot seem to find. The packages that are affected are w3c-libwww-devel, wine-devel, and libesmtp-devel under the Software Development section. The quick hack is to remove the X Window System/GNOME sub dependency. You will also use the third disc if you have an older video card (that requires XF3), but an easy hack is also available.