Problems with updating rh7.2 distro

I am updating the rh7.2 distro non src rpms I only really use the standard
stuff.  So I pulled down all the rh7.2 updates and merged them into the
original being careful to place the patches into the correct disc and
removing the old ones.  I added the new Omni and perl packages to the comps
file and ran /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist --withnumbers
/home/rhnew/disc1 /home/rhnew/disc2 all seemed to be fine.  To test I
combined disc1 and disc2 into a single directory.  I installed a clean
machine with everything from the network which works fine.  So now I want to
make a couple of iso images and burn them to see if it will work from disk
fished around and found some mkisofs examples and made the images burned
them off to cd and tried to install everything from cd and the thing wants
to do the cd dance felt like I was installing windows 3.1 from disk.

Back to the drawing board poked around some more and put together this
script, at the end.  Commenting is not complete as I have not got the bugs
worked out.  All the parts work I even took a look at the splitdistro script
and modified it to handle 700mb discs so the added bulk from the new patches
does not exceed the disc size.  Burned the first of the resulting CDs and
get the same problem wants to use the second cd before it has finished with
the first.  WTF am I missing here, starting to piss me off.  I have burned
about 20 variations and still have the same problem it looks to me that
--withnumbers is just not doing what it is supposed to.  Oh one other thing
I noticed was that whatever is responsible for ext3 is not working on the
Redhat install.  After the install you can run tune2fs to convert them over
with no problem but I have no idea why it is not offering in disk druid.  I
swapped out the .img files with the ones off the distro and ext3 was back so
something in the buildinstall script I would guess.

After all the back and forth and retries I am just not sure how to get the
discs properly spilt so that there is only the one disc1 to disc2 swap.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.  Oh and yes I did run the script as root

[paulhamm@xxxxx rhnew]$ more update.sh
#!/bin/sh
#
# update.sh
# Stolen by Paul Hamm 20020315
#
# This script is the key to properly updating RedHat 7.2 distro iso
# I stole this from here http://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/at/roswell-ltsp.html
# I hope to add this to a perl script which should automatically replace the
# updated packages from RedHat
#
# THIS IS NOT THE SOLUTION YET
#
# how it works
# First get the current RedHat distro iso files
#  mount them

# current working directory
BASE="/home/rhnew"

# generate hdlists*
/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist --withnumbers $BASE/i386

# generate the package ordering
PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/anaconda /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/pkgorder $BASE/i386
i386 > $BASE/newpkgorder

# Build the new install
/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/buildinstall --pkgorder $BASE/newpkgorder
$BASE/i386

# Split the new distro
/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/splitdistro --fileorder $BASE/newpkgorder $BASE/
i386

# now generate hdlists* with the correct ordering
/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist --withnumbers --fileorder
$BASE/newpkgorder $BASE/i386-disc1 $BASE/i386-disc2

# build disk 1
cd $BASE/i386-disc1
mkisofs -r -J -T -b dosutils/autoboot/cdboot.img -c .boot.cat -o
../rh7_2_1.disc1.iso .

# build disk 2
cd $BASE/i386-disc1
mkisofs -r -J -T -o ../rh7_2_1.disc2.iso .
cd .. # done!

Paul Hamm
Manager  Technical Services
Open Ratings Inc