Re: anaconda-runtime documentation?

> --UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2
>
> On Thu, 03 Jan 2002, Bob Tanner wrote:
>
> > Where can I find documentation for the anaconda-runtime rpm?
> >=20
> > In particular, what do all the files do /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime.
>
> The best documentation is to just look at the files and see what they
> do.  A lot of them are scripts called by other scripts in there.  The
> most important two are buildinstall which takes an RPM tree and builds
> all the anaconda boot and stage2 images for it, as well as doing stuff
> like genhdlist.  The other is splitdistro which splits a big install
> root into two directory trees, one for each disc, for burning purposes.

Not very practical for those without a good understanding of C, Python
*AND* bash.

Frankly, I think if some Red Hatter put together some basic documentation,
the effort would be repaid the next time a new Red Hatter had to learn the
system.

I've looked at the scripts etc (did so before joining this list). Python's
a big mystery to me, I have hardly any idea what's going on.

My C is a little better, but my examination of genhdlist has revealed a bug
(which I found before looking at the code) but next to no light on what its
argments mean. I especially have not been able to discover what format the
file argument to --fileorder is (other than strings).

As for comments, the only multiline comments in the entire program are
where there's a group of lines commented out.

The bug?
[summer@numbat summer]$ /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist --help
genhdlist: bad argument --help: unknown option
[summer@numbat summer]$

There's a usage() function in the program, it's called in at least one place:
[summer@numbat summer]$ /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist --fileorder fred
[summer@numbat summer]$

Not that it actually tells me how to feed it.

I've gone through a good deal of anaconda-list and kickstart-list and so
far have no clues on how to run genhdlist or splitdistro. buildinstall I
can manage, at least in the simple case.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.