RE: Newbie

(Burra, you're going to see this twice because the first time I replied,
I forgot to cc the list.  --Seth)

If you have the anaconda source installed, you should have an anaconda
file at /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/anaconda-7.1.  That also assumes that you are,
like me, still running on RH 7.1.

I had some success getting anaconda to run in test mode with a variation on
the following, with a sample kickstart file in my home directory at
/home/setha.

./anaconda --method nfs:<nfs mount for first cd> --rootpath=/home/setha --test
--text --kickstart ~setha/ks.cfg

I don't recall why I specified "--rootpath" to be my home directory, other
than it seemed safer if anaconda went berzerk to have it clobber my home
directory.

I had a lot more success copying the RH CD1 to a directory on one machine.
Then I used that machine as a server, and booted a second
machine over the network.  That is, the second machine is a network
boot install client.  The RH Configuration Guide describes how to set this
up.  Look in particular at the Kickstart Options section of the Kickstart
Chapter.  (For RH 7.1, this was chapter 2 of the Configuration Guide.)

Since I am required to not use DHCP on my network, I set up the server
and client machines with static IP addresses.  So, in my kickstart file,
I have something which looks like:

network --bootproto static --ip <ip address of the client> --netmask <your
network's netmask> --gateway <your network's gateway> --nameserver <your
network's nameserver> --hostname <client hostname>

nfs --server <IP address of the server> --dir <location of cd1 image on server>

(Note that the "network" line in the actual kickstart file has to be on
a single line.)

Then when I wanted to modify something in anaconda, I changed the files in
the CD1 image on the server.  I then rebooted the client.  The client saw
the changes on the server.  If I didn't like what I had done, I changed
it on the server and rebooted the client again.

--Seth
sethal@xxxxxxxxx

--- Burra <burra@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Right, I have it all installed... the src.rpm and the i386.rpm. I am just
> trying to get it to run in test mode, so I can customize some gtk dialogs.
>
> Any idea how to get anaconda to run on a already installed linux machine
> so I can do some hacking on it?
>
> I have tried this...
> sudo /usr/sbin/anaconda -m cdrom://dev/hdc --xmode --test --nofallback
>
> ...but, it fails.
>
> What is your development setup?
>
> --------------------[-- burra@xxxxxxxxxxxx --]--------------------------
>
> On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Sarcar, Shourya C (MED) wrote:
>
> > hi burra,
> > 	download the anaconda sources (src.rpm)
> > 	use rpm -ivh to "install" it
> > 	you will find a .spec lying around. use rpm -bb on the .spec
> > file to "build" the newly downloaded anaconda.
> > 	rpm also works as a build tool; i think you already knew that.
> >
> > shourya

=====
--Seth Alford
sethal@xxxxxxxxx