realtek ALC897 lacks a beep channel is there any way to get one?

I have a new Trigkey 7500U machine which is running under Artix. I have good alsa sound from the front panel headphone socket. Alsamixer shows it's running HDA Intel PCH.

I have installed the beep command and checking shows that the pcspkr module is loaded. However, I cannot obtain system beeps after many changes using alsamixer. The beep process runs silently without error.

I can simulate explicit beeps using a script like this.

#!/bin/sh
play -q -n -talsa synth 0.1 sin 440 vol 0.15 &>/dev/null

but that means that terminal/editor initiated bell sounds are not audible ie system initiated beeps don't happen. My eyesight is poor so explicit beeps are very useful.

On another machine with realtek ALC283 I see that there is a synthesised beep channel which works when  loopback is enabled.

Is there a way for me to get such behaviour from the 897?
--
Robin Becker