aloop using physical sound card as synchronisation source

Hello list,

studying the emails on the LKML and  the patchhes to aloop.c Timo Wischer
and Andrew Gabbasov added the possibility to use the audio clock of a
dedicated physical ALSA sound card as synchronisation source for the aloop
ALSA loppback devices.
Unfortunately the ALSA documentation isn't reflecting this:
https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Documentation
>From reading the source I tried to get this running, but regardless which
parameters I did set I couldn't make it work.
Could anybody explain how this is meant to work?
Also an example i.e. with an RME HDSPe sound card as clock source would
really be helpfull.

Finally, could somebody please explain the default synchronisation souce
which in the source is called "jiffies"?
I can only guess (google was my friend) that this is the system clock and
thus at the end the physical oscillator will be the one of the realtime
clock on the mainboard. Or could it be the TSC (time stamp counter) in the
CPU? On current PC systems the TSC should give a stable frequency (frequency
is needed, not time!), the system clock OTOH could have a time jump when
ntpd is tuning the time. In such a case what will be the effect on the aloop
devices?

Thank you
Axel