Default audio output/input behavior

Dear all,

I'm not sure whether this is the correct place to address my thoughts or not. If you think there's a better/correct place to bring-up this discussion - please let me know, and I will repost this to another place.

While I believe this might be not Ubuntu 20/22 specific, I'm super irritated by the change of default audio input and output when new devices are connected. Some/most of us, engineers, are using advanced setup for our convenience, and quite often these come into play: docking stations / bluetooth headsets / usb audio card / etc. While on Windows, my setup just works (TM): whatever I do - either switch to Windows PC via KVM with integrated USB hub where I have external USB mic and Logitech camera attached - it just remembers my previously selected audio devices and just reuses those. With Ubuntu: every, every single time I attach something audio related - I need to go into audio settings and change my default audio input and output devices.

With this email I hope to spark a discussion to make the whole audio experience much more friendlier for everyone, than it is now.

Best regards,
Andrejs Cainikovs.