Re: Playback using multiple devices

Hi Again,

So I guess I am looking for some closure on this. Can someone explain what the situation is? Does multi-card no longer work? It clearly did at some point given the prevalence of sample rc files around the web, but is this not the case anymore? I need a multi-card setup for my work, and the ffado firewire drivers for jack are troublesome at best for me on Manjaro. Any insights, even if it is that it just doesn't work, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Christopher Brown wrote:

Hi List,

I have an updated Manjaro system and two RME Fireface 800 8-output-channel devices, both of which work well. I would like to create a 16-channel virtual device for playback, but I am having quite a bit of difficulty. I have tried many things, but the closest I have come to success seems to be with the following .asoundrc, which allows me to use either ff800_1 or ff800_2 to playback sound with portaudio, but ff800x2 (the intended 16-channel virtual device) does not show up and thus is not accessible. This config file was adapted with minimal edits from post #19 at  https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id9370 which claims to be a working example (although as posted it duplicated 2 audio channels out to 4 hardware channels across 2 devices).

Any insights into what I am doing wrong are greatly appreciated.

## Begin .asoundrc
pcm.!default plug:ff800x2

ctl.!default {
  type hw