Playback using multiple devices

Hi List,

I have an updated Manjaro system and two RME Fireface 800 8-output-channel devices, both of which work well. I would like to create a 16-channel virtual device for playback, but I am having quite a bit of difficulty. I have tried many things, but the closest I have come to success seems to be with the following .asoundrc, which allows me to use either ff800_1 or ff800_2 to playback sound with portaudio, but ff800x2 (the intended 16-channel virtual device) does not show up and thus is not accessible. This config file was adapted with minimal edits from post #19 at  https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id9370 which claims to be a working example (although as posted it duplicated 2 audio channels out to 4 hardware channels across 2 devices).

Any insights into what I am doing wrong are greatly appreciated.

## Begin .asoundrc
pcm.!default plug:ff800x2

ctl.!default {
  type hw