Re: Line-in volume

On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 19:56:32 -0800, Paul A. Steckler wrote:
>I'd like to play sound from a device connected to my sound card's
>line-in.

So the signal chain is

[DEVICE analog out]->[analog in SOUND CARD analog-to-digital converter]->[Linux]->[digital-to-analog converter SOUND CARD analog out]->[analog in ACTIVE SPEAKERS without volume control]

?

On Wed, 22 Dec 2021 10:12:21 -0800, Paul A. Steckler wrote:
>On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 11:23 PM Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Please describe in what way the signal is "too loud". Is the signal
>> distorted? Is the speaker's/headphone's sound too loud?
>
>The sound from the speakers is too loud, although not distorted.
>
>There are attenuator devices you can purchase, which might be a
>solution. I'm hoping for a software solution, though.

If the above sound chain is correct, then you don't need to adjust
the "line in" level. You need to adjust the output level. If you can't
do it by the audio device, then yes, you can use software. Btw. an
attenuator device could be a simple potentiometer or a cheap mixer.

Why is the "device" connected to the Linux computer? Aren't you already
using software that allows to adjust the output level?

It's not unusual that you can't adjust levels using alsamixer, e.g.
when using a class compliant USB audio interface. I can't comment on
pulseaudio, since I never ever would install it. I'm using either jackd
or plain ALSA, but to adjust speaker volume I'm using an analog
amplifier.