Re: USB midi interface named 'USB Device 0x86a'

Am 04.06.19 um 08:54 schrieb Clemens Ladisch via Alsa-user:
> Stefan Sauer wrote:
>> 'lsusb' shows the device as:
>> Bus 006 Device 003: ID 086a:0001 Emagic Soft- und Hardware GmbH Unitor8
>>
>> 'amidi -l' shows a human readable name for all midi devices, but the 'Emagic
>> Unitor amt 8' (hw:4,0) show up with a generic name:
>> Dir Device    Name
>> IO  hw:4,0,0  USB Device 0x86a:0x01 MIDI 1
>
> lsusb has a database of names.
>
> The snd-usb-audio driver asks the device for what its name is.  You can
> see these values in the output of "sudo lsusb -v" for "iManufacturer"/
> "iProduct".  (Please check this.)  When these values cannot be read, you
> get that "USB Device" name.
>
> It is possible to override this name by adding a .product_name entry
> in the sound/usb/quirks-table.h file and recompiling the kernel.
> (At least the MT4 does not need this override.  If the Unitor8 or the
> AMT8 require it, this change can be made permanent.)

I've uncommented the .product_name and that fixes it. Next step sending a patch.
I think this file might be rescue for all my other USB audio gear that might
need quick edits.

Is there a way to provide quirks eg. via udev? Recompiling the kernel is maybe a
too high bar for many users and it is hard to keep the changes persist until the
distro picked the kernel changes.