No sound - iMac 27"

Hi all,

I get no sound on Ubuntu Cosmic on a Mac 27" bought recently (Apple product id
= iMac 18,3), neither from the integrated loudspeakers nor from the headset,
and no microphone works either.

I tried all the classical fixes one finds on the forums, like declaring in
/etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf one of the following:

   options snd-hda-intel model=imac27
   options snd-hda-intel model=imac27_122
   options snd-hda-intel model=generic
   options snd-hda-intel model=auto

and then restarting alsa or rebooting, plus setting the audio inputs in KDE
control center / alsamixer / pavucontrol / etc. Disabling the second card
(Elsemere) at module level works, but does not help. I am testing directly at
ALSA level (aplay).

In pavucontrol I can see the sound going to output, but I still cannot hear
anything.

An interesting fact is that in alsamixer only the "PCM" slider appears, while
alsa-info reports 15 of them.

On my old iMac 9,1 from 2009 it was working like a charm with same up to date
Ubuntu Cosmic. On the new mac, under Mac OS X sierra, the sound works fine.

More technical details on

   http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=967cceb4549c0c382b002f1a7562c333df4596ad

One finds similar reports out there, like:

   https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/433103/is-there-a-linux-mint-driver-for-the-sound-card-of-the-imac-2017

I believe the Cirrus "Generic" chipset of this machine is simply not
supported.

I'm capable of recompiling stuff and retest, if some developers have the
courage to give it a glance...

Best,

--
Éric Bischoff