Re: Phonic HB12U: issues during simultaneous playback and record

Looks like I've found it!

For a proper fix, I need some guidance, though:

On 21/08/2018 19:52, Andreas Böhler wrote:
> Hey,
>
> a few weeks ago I already wrote to this list regarding a recording issue
> with the Phonic Helix Board 12 Universal which could be resolved by
> using Jack as backend.
>
> This time, I need playback to work simultaneously and I've got some
> rather strange issues.

It turned out that setting the sample rate is a bit special here: Sample
Rates must be set while the interface is active, and they must be always
set. If one interface is brought down, the sample rate setting is gone,
even if the device reports the correct sample rate.

To test this, I modified set_sample_rate_v2 in sound/usb/clock.c and
removed two if-clauses.

How should a proper fix look like? I didn't find a similar quirk or an
existing mechanism for a quirk like this.

However, it only fixes full duplex for Ardour (no matter what the
backend is!), but still disables sound output in PulseAudio if
pavucontrol is closed. When this happens, the capture interface is
closed and the device forgets the sample rate also for the playback
substream. I suppose that setting the sample rate at this stage would
bring playback back (untested, since I don't know how to implement that).

Regards,

Andreas