Phonic HB12U: issues during simultaneous playback and record

Hey,

a few weeks ago I already wrote to this list regarding a recording issue
with the Phonic Helix Board 12 Universal which could be resolved by
using Jack as backend.

This time, I need playback to work simultaneously and I've got some
rather strange issues.

On the desktop, I usually use PulseAudio as a sound server. For whatever
reason, I can only play sound on this particular device while
pavucontrol is running! If I close pavucontrol, about five seconds later
sound is muted, i.e. I cannot hear anything while the player still plays.

As soon as I open pavucontrol again, sound output is restored (it takes
2-3 seconds for the full volume to be restored, it is immediately
audible on very low volume as soon as pavucontrol is opened).

Using Ardour, the symptoms are:

  * Playback works only using ALSA directly (but recording doesn't)
  * Recording only works using JACK (but playback doesn't)

Next, I tried Audacious with different output plugins:

  * It plays back using Jack
  * It plays back using ALSA
  * It plays back using pulse, but only if pavucontrol is running

Then, I started Audacious with the Jack backend and started Ardour at
the same time. Now I can play sound using Ardour, but I cannot record.

For the sake of completeness:

Linux 4.14.63 on Arch
Ardour 5.12
Jack 0.5.3