Re: aloop module and rate conversion

Hi again,

On Mittwoch, 8. August 2018 14:26:33 CEST Frank Mehnert wrote:
> [...]
>
> In principle audio forwarding works so I can play files with aplay at vm2
> and the playback at vm1 works. However, there is disturbing noise / crackles
> when playing any sound with aplay on vm2. Playing the same sound on vm1
> works with a reasonable quality.

Now I repeated a similar setup with only one VM and the alsaloop module.
I experience the same sort of disturbing noise with the default settings
but when I pass -t 100000 (set latency to 100ms instead of 10ms) the
result is much better.

In that case alsaloop -v shows that for the playback side a buffer size
of 8192 and a period size of 1024 is chosen while on the playback side
the buffer size / period size ratio is 17640 / 2205.

A few more experiments with my own capture/playback applications show that
using a buffer size of 8192 frames and a period size of 1024 frames on both
sides (capture and playback) seem to be sensible values on this hardware
while 8192/2048 sounds worse.

Any comment on this? Also, is there any way to determine sensible values
for buffer size / period size from /sys or /proc/asound?

Also I don't understand the relationship between buffer size and period size
between the capture side and the playback side.

Thanks,

Frank