how to purge old ALSA controls without reboot

Hello ALSA users,

I'm trying to figure out how to delete unused volume controls which
had appeared in previous versions of my .asoundrc.

Can this be done without rebooting my computer? When I google the
problem I only find a solution requiring rebooting:

Thanks,

Frederick