Re: USB Audio and selecting optical out

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 02:54:44PM +0200, Clemens Ladisch via Alsa-user wrote:
> Marc Haber wrote:
> >>
> >> Check if it's actually using 44.1 kHz when playing.
> >
> > How would I do that?
>
> Check /proc/asound/cardX/stream0.

Now we're turning around in circles. Are you trying to say that the
contents of /proc/asound/cardX/stream0 will not only show the card's
capabilities but also what is currently going on while there is
something playing?

If so, you need to word that more explicitly or somebody with less than
35 years of IT experience will not be able to understand what you're
trying to say.

> > I am open to suggestions for devices that will do what I want and work
> > on Linux.
>
> I do not know what your DAT actually requires.
>
> But as far as I am aware, there is no USB solution that allows as much
> control as your C-Media PCI card.

Too bad, the machine in question will certainly be my last box with a
PCI slot, so when that mainboard dies, the C-Media PCI card will die
with it unless some vendor will come up with an afforable and supported
PCIe-to-PCI- or USB-to-PCI-Slot interface.

Additionally, the CMI8738 has caused me grief ever since. Compared with
the PCI card, the USB device is rather painless.

Greetings
Marc