Re: USB Audio and selecting optical out

Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 10:45:11PM +0200, Clemens Ladisch via Alsa-user wrote:
>> Marc Haber wrote:
>>> Is it possible that the USB device is only able to play back at 48 kHz?
>>
>> Yes, it's possible.  Check /proc/asound/cardX/stream0.
>
> Playback:
>     Rates: 44100, 48000
> Capture:
>     Rates: 44100, 48000
>
> Looks to me like it at least claims to be able to play back at 44.1 kHz.
> Any other reason why the DAT deck won't sync if speakertest runs with
> rate 44100?

Check if it's actually using 44.1 kHz when playing.

> Is this likely a sloppy implementation of the Device or a bug in the driver?

S/PDIF has lots of metadata bits, but the USB audio 1.x specification does
not have any mechanism to change them.  These bits must be set automatically
by the device.  (Usually, receivers don't really care about them.)

The CM106 datasheet mentions a register to control the S/PDIF output, but
its contents are undocumented.  It's possible that this works only with the
Windows driver.

Regards,
Clemens